A Letter from Our Editor-in-Chief/Publisher
For our 14th Anniversary Issue, we focus on some of Indonesia’s most inspiring disruptors. What are disruptors? These are people who are changing our lives: the way we think and behave, how we learn and how we do business.
Ferry Unardi dropped out of Harvard Business School to create Traveloka, a US$1 billion startup, or “unicorn”, that has changed the way the travel industry works in Indonesia. “All of our products and services are based on customers’ pain points,” he tells us.
Another of Indonesia’s four unicorns, Bukalapak, was founded by Achmad Zaky. He reveals how he made it his mission to “bridge the gap between Indonesian sellers and buyers. We now host 3 million SMEs on our platform.”
Who needs cash anymore? Nabilah Alsago has made it her mission to create a cashless society here by founding Doku. The PayPal of Indonesia has enabled more than one million consumers and 35,000 SMEs to buy and sell products and services online.
Doku thrives in the financial technology, or fintech, arena, and so does CekAja, a digital financial marketplace that provides access to banking and insurance for tens of millions of consumers. J.P. Ellis, the company’s founder, shares his insights with us.
This month’s cover girls, cousins Shelvin and Katherine Prasetio, are not only glamorous and beautiful. They are also smart young entrepreneurs who are making expert use of social media to appeal to new customers and build their businesses.
Don’t miss our Style shoot with actresses Michelle Ziudith, Mentari De Marelle, Ranty Maria and Caitlin Halderman. These rising stars ll us in on how they were each bitten by the acting bug – fascinating stories all.
It has been a great pleasure putting together our Anniversary Issue, which comes with a special bonus this month: a free copy of Prestige Lifestyle, packed with absorbing and entertaining profiles of some of the world’s most brilliant – and often eccentric – home designers.
MORE IN JULY/ANNIVERSARY ISSUE
- On the cover: We celebrate our 14th anniversary with two girl bosses who are making the most of digital for their businesses: Katherine Prasetio with her jewellery business Simon Ross and Shelvin Prasetio with her ready-to-wear brand, Wearstatuquo and her ready-to-rent/custom-made wedding gowns, the Bridal Workshop.
- We featured more revolutionary digital disruptors: Ferry Unardi, the founder of Traveloka; Achmad Zaky, founder of Bukalapak; J.P. Ellis, founder and CEO of C88 Financial Technologies; Nabilah Alsagoff who is a pioneer of electronic money in Indonesia, Doku.
- Follow the brightest young performers–Michelle Ziudith, Mentari de Marelle, Ranty Maria, and Caitlin Halderman–reveal how they got bitten by the acting bug!
- For all avid travellers, check out the review of Four Seasons Resort Bali at Jimbaran Bay. Their most palatial villas have been entirely rebuilt from the ground up, based on individual designs by the late Jaya Ibrahim.
- More fashion reports and editorials showcasing the latest collections from premium global brands you love.
Subscribe to our latest issue and get a special gift from Ted Baker!
Get your e-copy of the magazine via Gramedia, Magzter, Press Reader, or Nook. If you are a loyal hard copy magazine reader, you can grab it from the nearest bookstores: Gramedia, Kinokuniya, and Periplus, or simply click here.