Who needs the beach? If a well-appointed rainforest retreat is what you’re after, Capella Ubud, Bali, a new ultra-luxurious tented camp, should fill the bill.
Inspired by the first Europeans to settle in Bali in the 1800s, celebrated architect and designer Bill Bensley has created Capella Ubud, a stunning rainforest retreat, as a tribute to their spirit of adventure, while preserving the local flora and fauna at the same time. With the conscious idea of “minimal intervention”, thoughtful care has been taken in all the design areas. All trees and local plants were left untouched and protected.
The new resort sets out to bring the heritage of Bali to life in a remarkable natural setting. Set on 4 hectares – 20 minutes north of Ubud, in the village of Keliki – the camp is positioned where sloping rice terraces meet the dense untouched rainforest of the sacred Wos River.
This one-of-a-kind hidden sanctuary offers an authentic insight into the way of life in Bali, combined with today’s modern conveniences and technology. Each of the 22 one-bedroom tented retreats as well as the two-bedroom lodge feature a theme based on camp site life back in the days of the early settlers – offering guests a truly unique under-canvas experience.
Nature, wellness and adventure are at the core of the camp’s many signature experiences which include curated culinary journeys through the working farms of Keliki Village as well as the resort’s own honey farms, coffee, tea and cocoa plantations.
Cultural highlights include sacred temple rituals at the Wos River with villagers while wellness experiences include medicinal culinary healing, spiritual and sound healing. For the more adventurous, jungle boot camps, mountain bike ridge tours and high and low impact work outs in the rice paddies will be offered.
The following is just a snapshot of a dynamic array of multisensory experiences that await guests at Capella Ubud, Bali, with many more options available:
- Auriga Wellness – Named after a constellation in the northern hemisphere, Auriga Wellness bases its unique and distinctive approach on the different lunar cycles in line with the local Balinese and Hindu traditions. A diverse choice of pampering, medicinal healing journeys and adventure wellness are on offer complemented by the services of highly specialized local wellness healers. Auriga Wellness uses a 100 percent organic and natural range of locally crafted products that are exclusively blended for the property.
- The Armory – Work out in style at the camp’s jungle-based tented gymnasium, which features a state of the art line-up of workout equipment, free weights, TRX strength stations and the barre for barre-based classes. The Cistern, the 30-metre long outdoor salt water rainforest pool, located at camp central, lends itself perfectly for laps or an early morning aqua yoga session, whilst Camp Rangers offer a series of low and high impact guided adventure wellness activities.
- Mads Lange – The Camp’s split-level tented dining room is named in honor of the famous Danish spice trader, entrepreneur and peace maker of Bali, knight of the Order of the Netherlands and recipient of the Danish Gold medal of achievement – Mads Johansen Lange, nicknamed “The White King of Bali”. Offers contemporary European homemade and home-grown epicurean dining experiences driven by seasonality and sustainably farmed produce.
- Api Jiwa – Inspired by the Sanskrit word for soul of fire, this highly interactive and intimate Asian barbecue will serve up authentic and new age bites in a theatrical neck to tail, farm to table culinary fashion. Expect no elaborate menu as the culinary team will tailor a delectable sensory journey according to guests’ desires.
- The Mortar and Pestle Bar – The bar adjacent to The Cistern offers light poolside snacks and health-conscious options inclusive of a wide range of cocktails and potions. All beverages are locally inspired and handcrafted using traditional methods inclusive of a mortar and pestle and manual ice crusher in order not to interrupt Mother Nature’s beautiful rainforest sounds and delights.
- The Officers Tent – The Officers Tent, exclusively reserved for residents, is the camp’s living room and library where morning coffee, afternoon tea, the daily evening cocktail and canapé ritual and after dinner drinks are served.
Rates start at US$838 per room per night, plus service charge and taxes. For more information and reservations, visit www.capellaubud.com.