THE EDITOR’S LETTER
“Plastic – It’s Not Fantastic”
We are in a war on plastic. When you are looking around your neighbourhood, how often do you spot empty plastic bags and bottles littering the roads and pavements? If you look at the rivers and canals, you will see floating waste of all kinds. Bali’s beaches have not escaped the scourge of plastic either.
To help do something about pollution, this issue focuses on the ideas of some of the eco-warriors who are leading the war on plastic in Indonesia. If you really want to see the shocking extent of plastic pollution, watch filmmaker Gary Bencheghib’s YouTube videos in which he and his brother are kayaking along the Citarum, the longest river in West Java and reputedly the world’s dirtiest waterway.
Christophe Bahuet, country director of the UNDP in Indonesia, shakes his head when the topic of plastic pollution comes up. “Plastic is a plague,” he declares. “It goes into the land, the seas and the food chain. We have to do more to stop it. The more we can do to protect the oceans the better.”
Few people know more about the threat to the oceans than Hamish Daud, the environmentalist and actor. His latest project, “Indonesian Ocean Pride”, is spreading awareness of the problems we are causing for ourselves by fouling the seas. “We are all part of this problem, but together we can all be part of the solution,” he points out.
Elsewhere in this issue, we have an exclusive photo shoot and an insightful interview with actor and model Richard Kyle. He is on an important freedom mission with the Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation to save these intelligent primates from extinction.
Make sure you never miss another issue of Prestige by turning to page 196 for news of our latest subscription offer. In addition, keep up with us online at prestigeonline.com and follow our social media posts on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
EXPLORE OUR FEATURES:
- On the cover: We feature Grand Slam tennis player Caroline Wozniacki. Discover how she juggles career, family, and her role as a Rolex Testimonee.
- Read our Indonesia’s passionate Eco-Warriors: Country director of The United Nation Development Programme Christophe Bahuet, filmmaker Gary Bencheghib, the founder of Bye Bye Plastic Bags from Bali, Melati and Isabel Wijsen, co-founder of Evoware, David Christian, the founder of Avani, Kevin Kumala, and the environmentalist and actor, Hamish Daud.
- Find out why actor, model, and host Richard Kyle wants to save orangutans in “On a Freedom Mission” story.
- Keep up in time with fashion influencer Anastasia Siantar! She is sporting The Omega De Ville Trésor collection that’s made especially for women.
- Check in at one (or more) of the world’s most opulent resorts while saving the planet at the same time. Whether it’s on private islands or rainforest retreats, we’ve got you covered. Here is our IT list of the best eco-resorts!
- Don’t miss the highlights from Baselworld 2018. Here’s what hot at Haute Horlogerie.
- More fashion reports and editorials showcasing the latest collections from premium global brands you love.
Subscribe now and get the YSL Beauté package:
Mon Paris Couture EDP, The Shock mascara, and Duo Eye Smoker (worth IDR 2.795.000)
Get your e-copy of the magazine via Gramedia, Magzter, Press Reader, or Nook. If you are a loyal hard copy magazine reader, you can grab it from the nearest bookstores: Gramedia, Kinokuniya, and Periplus, or send us an e-mail so we can send it to you: email@example.com