I am on the quest for firm and bouncy facial skin. Not that I don’t have it now (ahem), but I want maintenance on top of the complementary serums and creams. And I am not willing (not now, anyway) to undergo any kind of invasive procedures. I want some sort of facial workouts that I can do, anytime, anywhere, with minimal fuss and that would ‘exercise’ my facial muscles.
Facial exercises will increase blood circulation and the flow of oxygen to the cells of the skin, which will promote a healthy complexion and add a glow to your skin.
I got close to a set of these exercises. This happened while I was overseas, covering a beauty junket. The night before, the organisers advised the participants to come bare face as there will be a half hour facial yoga class and at the end of the session, they will be given time to put on their makeup. Needless to say, all the females arrived with painted faces! I was one of the few lone men who didn’t have anything on except for moisturiser.
SEE ALSO: Is skin truly safe from harm indoors?
Suffice to say, after the half-hour, I was amazed at the result. Pity I cannot recall the exact steps. Fear not though, I came across this set of 5 simple exercises from Neal’s Yard and I thought I’d share this with you.
I tried it out and will propose doing. My friend, Shan Min, tried it too, and assesses that “this set of exercises is probably developed for women up to age mid 40s who may not see much skin slackening yet but like a good mid-intensity isometric facial exercise to maintain facial contour”. It is recommended that you do this set of 5 exercises 6 times a week for about 20 minutes at a time.
GREAT FOR DROOPING EYELIDS, CROW’S FEET AND EYE BAGS
- Make a ‘V’ with your index finger and middle finger. Press your middle fingers at the inner corner of your eyebrows at the same time. With your index finger, apply pressure to the outer corners of the eyebrows.
- Look at the ceiling and raise the lower eyelids upwards to make a strong squint and then relax.
- Repeat this action six more times and finish by squeezing the eyes shut for 10 seconds.
IDEAL FOR CHEEK LINES AND SAGGING SKIN
- Make an ‘O’ shape with your mouth and hide your teeth with your lips.
- Whilst keeping the teeth hidden, smile widely and repeat six times.
- Place one index finger on the chin whilst holding the smile shape and start to move the jaw up and down whilst tilting your head gently backwards. Relax and repeat twice more.
PERFECT FOR HORIZONTAL FOREHEAD LINES
- Place both hands on your forehead facing inwards and spread all of your fingers out between the eyebrows and the hairline.
- Gently sweep the fingers outwards across the forehead, apply light pressure to tighten the skin.
- Relax and repeat 10 times.
GREAT FOR DEEP EYE HOLLOWS AND DROOPING EYE BROWS
- Place an index finger under each eye, pointing towards the nose.
- Hide the teeth and tease the top lip and bottom lip away from each other at the mouth.
- Flutter the upper eyelids while gazing at the ceiling for 30 seconds.
BRILLIANT FOR LINES AND LOOSE SKIN ON THE NECK
- Looking straight ahead, place the finger tips at the bottom of the neck and slightly stroke the skin downwards with the head tilted back.
- Bring the head back down to the chest and repeat twice more.
- Finally, jut the lower lip out as far as possible to pull the corners of the mouth down and place finger tips on the collarbone with the chin pointed upwards. Hold for four deep breaths.
Photos courtesy of Neal’s Yard.