It comes to no surprise that Bar Trigona has become the first bar in Malaysia to enter the World’s 50 Best Bars 2020 list given its credible reputation and the many accolades they’ve raked since its opening in 2018. Since its debut in the Asia’s 50 Best Bars 2019 at 40th spot, then leapfrogged to 14th place in 2020 as Malaysia’s best bar, there’s no stopping for head bartender Ashish Sharma and the team at Bar Trigona as they add the cherry on the cocktail by placing 44th in the World’s 50 Best Bars 2020.
The event, presented virtually for the first time, sees Bar Trigona debuting ahead of illustrious names including Tokyo’s High Five (48th from 18th last year), London’s Scout (51st from 28th in 2019), Singapore’s Old Man (58th from 38th in 2019) and Tippling Club (64th), as well as New York’s The Dead Rabbit (71th from 22nd in 2019) — a remarkable finish for a bar that’s just over two years old.
Being first-time entrants, we are absolutely over the moon. It is such an honour to join this prestigious group. The award reflects the entire team’s genuine passion and tireless efforts to explore and develop drinks. Thank you to all our guests and to the wider cocktail community for believing in us, and for supporting us on this incredible journeyAshish Sharma
Bar Trigona prides on a menu focusing on indigenous and sustainable ingredients, speaking to its setting beyond the gilded walls of its host Four Seasons Hotel Kuala Lumpur. Malaysian produce is a mainstay, from the wild turmeric harvested in Pahang to the raw honey from the eponymous Trigona hives and tropical fruits from a Bangi organic farm.
The local honeybees, particularly, are given centre stage. Their nectar – simultaneously sour and sweet – peppers many of the drinks after Ashish discovered it on a research trek into the jungle. Book a table for sundown – the mirrored mosaic across the bar splays light all around the room during golden hour.
Bar Trigona also confirms its continuous commitment to sustainability by earning the Ketel One Sustainable Bar Award two years in a row alongside its accolades at the Asia’s Best 50 Bars 2019 and 2020 respectively.
This news comes in as a shining beacon of hope to the F&B industry in Malaysia, which has suffered tremendously since the Covid-19 outbreak.
We are well aware of the hardship hospitality venues the world over have experienced and the toll that Covid-19 has wreaked on our industry. However, we strongly believe that the announcement of The World’s 50 Best Bars 2020 will provide a focal point and stimulus for bars as they enter the next stage of recovery. It is also important to recognise the passion, creativity and craft that has seen so many through this harrowing period and usher in some much-needed positivity as guests seek to return to outstanding bars.Mark Sansom, content editor for The World’s 50 Best Bars
With the current situation remains in the lurk of uncertainty, we (and the team behind Bar Trigona) remain positive and optimistic — while we find ourselves another good reason to head out (safely and responsibly) to Bar Trigona for a celebratory drink!
World’s 50 Best Bars list
- Connaught Bar in London, UK
- Dante in New York, USA
- The Clumsies in Athens, Greece
- Atlas in Singapore
- Tayēr + Elementary in London, UK
- Kwānt in London, UK
- Florería Atlántico in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Coa in Hong Kong, China
- Jigger & Pony in Singapore
- The SG Club in Tokyo, Japan
- Maybe Sammy in Sydney, Australia
- Attaboy in New York, USA
- Nomad Bar in New York, USA
- Manhattan in Singapore
- The Old Man in Hong Kong, China
- Katana Kitten in New York, USA
- Licorería Limantour in Mexico City, Mexico
- Native in Singapore
- Paradiso in Barcelona, Spain
- American Bar in London, UK
- Carnaval in Lima, Peru
- Salmón Gurú in Madrid, Spain
- Zuma in Dubai, UAE
- Little Red Door in Paris, France
- 1930 in Milan, Italy
- Two Schmucks in Barcelona, Spain
- El Copitas in St Petersburg, Russia
- Cantina OK! In Sydney, Australia
- Lyaness in London, UK
- Himkok in Oslo, Norway
- Baba au Rum in Athens, Greece
- Panda & Sons in Edinburgh, Scotland
- Swift in London, UK
- Three Sheets in London, UK
- The Bamboo Bar in Bangkok, Thailand
- Tjoget in Stockholm, Sweden
- Buck & Breck in Berlin, Germany
- Employees Only in New York, USA
- Bulletin Place in Sydney, Australia
- Bar Benfiddich in Tokyo, Japan
- Artesian in London, UK
- Sober Company in Shanghai, China
- Indulge Experimental Bar in Taipei, Taiwan
- Bar Trigona in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Drink Kong in Rome, Italy
- Room by Le Kief in Taipei, Taiwan
- Alquímico in Cartagena, Colombia
- High Five in Tokyo, Japan
- Charles H in Seoul, South Korea
- Presidente in Buenos Aires, Argentina
(Images by Bar Trigona/Four Seasons Kuala Lumpur)
This story first appeared on Lifestyle Asia KL.